The Spiritual Journeys of the Baby Boom Generation
Study Guide for four-meeting class series
Class One: The Stories
- View the videotape "Spiritual Seekers: Stories of the Lifetime Journey"
- Ask participants to begin journaling about their own spiritual journeys.
Class Two: Wasnt That A Time?
- Define the Baby Boom Generation
- Discuss some of the cultural influences and religious changes of the 1950s-1980s that have influenced the generations spirituality and its relationship with the institutional church.
- Discuss our own spiritual journeys in the context of the generations experience.
Class Three: Three Pillars of Boomer Spirituality
- Identify three themes often found in the spirituality of Baby Boomers: distrust of institutions, tendency toward mysticism, and a search for authenticity.
- Discuss our own spiritual journeys in the context of these three themes.
Class Four: Toward a Spirituality of Practice
- Discuss the impact of the Boomer generations spirituality on our cultures conceptions of religion and spirituality, and perhaps on our understanding of the sacred.
- Define a "spirituality of practice" or a "reflexive spirituality".
- Discuss our own spiritual journeys as regards to practice and reflexive spirituality.